Saturday, July 18, 2015

New Things

Some newer items I've been working on.
I like the idea of re-purposing items I find at flea markets, thrift stores, antique shops, etc.
I look for sconces, panel holders, candle holders -- anything that once held a mirror or glass and I see if it is suitable for supporting a stained glass panel or just some beautiful new art glass. These finds become one-of-a-kind pieces, and they are very popular! 


Here, I replaced the single piece of glass on each of the four sides of this candle luminary with four new mini-panels. Two different designs:  an Art Nouveau tulip of my own design and a more familiar Art Nouveau Rosette design.  Then I fitted them into their new homes. I love the way this turned out!  I'd love to find another holder like this one!






This is a piece I found and I wasn't really sure what it was, to be honest. I figured it held something  that someone wanted to show off.  I took measurements and created a panel to fit into it.  It is a little hard to tell from this photo, but there is an embellishment on the bottom of the holder that I think adds to the overall impression of the piece.

 


I found three identical wooden candle sconces with mirrors in them at a second hand shop a couple of years ago and I knew I wanted to replace the mirrors with some sort of stained glass panel. I finally came up with a design idea recently. I like using the glass 'jewels'.  They add a bit of dimension. I painted the natural wood sconces black because the original color didn't work with the new panels, and there were also some imperfections that had to be repaired. I completed the trio; there is an identical, orange-themed one missing from the photo.

Candles are coming...I'd like to use LEDs, as they would be safer next to the wood. Waiting to find the right ones. But I think they look fine like this, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment