Monday, July 13, 2015

Art Nouveau As Inspiration


I have always admired Art Nouveau designs and was recently given a wonderful book on the movement.  Stained glass as a secular medium flourished during this period and was now found in homes as a decorative art.  The work and innovations of Louis Comfort Tiffany, John La Farge and others allowed for an explosion of creative design and interpretation.  The copper foil method of creating stained glass pieces allowed for more freedom of design and the new art glass being created made for some of the most beautiful work ever seen. 
I have been so inspired by this movement and hope to assimilate it into my own work as a way to continually challenge myself, while using some of the most recognizable and lovely aesthetic principles ever created.

I would never compare my work to the masters of this movement, but I am slowly, and in my own way, trying to create my own interpretation of some of these designs.

Here is a first, elementary try:

The holder was pre-purchased at a thrift store and repurposed to display my piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment