Tuesday, January 30, 2018

One resolution fulfilled

I started this Koi panel over 3 years ago. It was based upon this small illustration I did that winter:




I copied it and flipped it, to give a more complete look to the design.
I thought it would make a great panel and proceeded to make the pattern.
I went right out to find the perfect glass, and started work. I worked hard and finally got it all ready to foil (wrapping copper foil around every single individual piece, which is the last step before soldering it all together) but I didn’t really like the look of the ‘bubbles’.  The clear glass I had chosen didn’t look good to me. It was uninteresting and I couldn’t figure out what to replace it with, so I put the project aside.
I thought I’d get right back to it.
It then lay like a glass jigsaw puzzle on a board for months. Then it was wrapped up, and stayed that way through three house moves and a new puppy, so it was out of sight and I moved on to other projects.
When I finally got back to it last week, I had some things to do before I picked up where I left off.  It had been badly jostled over the years and a few pieces were broken...and I still needed to find replacement glass for the clear glass bubbles.

Here’s where it was after replacing pieces and putting it all back together (but still no new glass for the bubbles):






I chose some seedy glass and some handmade frosted and textured glass for the replacement bubbles and hoped they would work. I wasn't sure how it would look, as I couldn't pick the panel up and put it up to a light source until it was all soldered and done! 

And here it is now...it still needs to be soldered on the back side, and I will frame it in zinc before I put black patina on the solder. The bubbles that look white are actually the frosted glass.The whole panel is a great illustration of how different it can look with light behind it!

But this is the first time its been upright as a single panel after more than 3 years. I think the new glass works well and I'm very excited to have it nearly done.







No comments:

Post a Comment