Sunday, March 18, 2018

A Monarch Panel

Toward the end of last summer, a great friend/neighbor and I raised three Monarch butterflies...2 from baby caterpillars and one from an egg. It was a wonderful, moving experience I won’t soon forget. I hope to raise more this coming year. I say ‘raise’, even though they do all the work.
This panel is an homage to my lovelies. 
The pattern is my own, and I hope to do other butterflies. I will use a copper foil overlay for the legs and antennae...something I haven’t done before.  Sounds simple enough...cut the foil in the shape needed, apply to glass and solder over it.  But there are considerations, as I learned from my online groups. A too-hot soldering iron can crack the glass, and the foil needs enough solder to match the other solder lines. I’m looking forward to the challenge, and the end result!
Here it is at the start..I will post updates. 
Youghiogheny hand-made art glass glass for the background. Love that stuff!





No comments:

Post a Comment